Lost or Damaged Passport Replacment

Critical Information About Lost or Damaged Passport Services

CVSC is unable to offer non-renewal US Passport expedited services at this time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will resume processing other US Passport services as soon as we are able to do so.

You can use Lost/Damaged Passport services if:
  • You are unable to locate your current valid passport; OR
  • Your passport has been stolen, and it is still valid; OR
  • Your passport was damaged or mutilated.

To be eligible for rush or express service to replace a lost or damaged passport your international flight reservation must be within the next 2-3 weeks.

If you have any questions about your passport application or renewal, please call CVSC customer service at 1-800-799-6560.

Need Assistance?

Our team is at your service to help you with your passport and visa issues, or to answer any related questions