This visa is issued to students who come to China to study, pursue advanced studies, or for fieldwork. International students must find an accredited organization who is offering courses or internships to foreigners so that they will send an acceptance letter and a visa application form. See below for the full list of Chinese student visa requirements.
Note: You are not allowed to work on these types of visas, however off campus internships may be authorized. Please contact your university after arrival to see what can be arranged.
PassportYou must provide your actual signed passport, including one copy of the personal information page of your passport. Your passport must:
- Be valid for six months beyond the length of your requested visa (for example, if you are requesting a 12 month visa your passport must be valid for 18 months )
- Contain at least two blank visa pages for the visa stamp (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
- Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way
If your passport does not meet these requirements, please contact China Visa Service Center at 1-800-799-6560 for further details.
The Chinese Consulate requires a photograph that meets very strict requirements. We strongly recommend that you submit your photograph electronically to China Visa Service Center so we can ensure it meets the stringent characteristics mandated by the Chinese Consulate. Follow https://www.mychinavisa.com/photo-service to upload your photo.
All electronic photo submissions must be taken within the last six months against an all-white background. It must show a full frontal view of your head, face centered in the middle, the tops of your shoulders, and display a neutral (non-smiling) expression with eyes open, mouth closed, and ears visible. No background light or shadows are permitted. You may not wear eyeglasses, jewelry, or headwear except for religious purposes. Do not wear a white shirt.
Should you elect to submit an actual photograph then it must meet all of the above criteria and:
- Be exactly 48 mm tall by 33 mm wide
- Be printed on high-quality photo paper
- Not be affixed to your application, with no evidence of adhesive tape or staples
Note that most passport photo vendors produce photos that are 2 inches by 2 inches and are not acceptable. China Visa Service Center cannot submit applications with incorrectly formatted photographs.
JW202 Form--Only Required For Stays Longer Than 180 Days
A letter of acceptance from your Chinese based educational establishment is required. Please:
- Compare your JW202 with your passport and verify that your name, date of birth, passport number and birth city are the same on your passport and your JW202
- Submit both the original and a copy with your application materials. The original will be returned to you with your visa
- Sign and date the form
Letter of InvitationYou must obtain an original official letter of invitation from your sponsor. The organization you will be visiting is responsible for providing the invitation. This letter must:
- Specify the number of entries you are requesting for your visa
- Show your name exactly as it appears on your passport
Proof of State Residency
You must provide a proof of your current address of residency. The document must either be a copy of the front of your driver's license or government ID, or a utility bill. The document must:
- Display your name as it appears on your passport
- Display the current residence address as provided on your visa application
Please note, if you must submit a utility bill the consulate requires electric, gas, or a water bill; phone and cable bills are not accepted.
China Visa Service Center Order Form
Provide the China Visa Service Center Order Form included in this kit.
Visa Application Form
One fully completed and signed visa application form. The application must:
- Be completed online
- Include answers for all required fields (NA where not applicable)
- List the name of the traveler exactly as it is written in the passport
- Be printed single-sided
- Be dated and signed in blue or black ink
- Be enclosed with all other documents in your visa application kit
China Visa Service Center provides a guide to assist you in completing the application. To access the guide follow this link: https://www.mychinavisa.com/forms?formname=China Application Guide.pdf or type the address into your browser.
Applicants must provide the Health Declaration Form which can be found within the China Visa Service Center Application kit.
Proof of Travel ArrangementsYou must provide proof of travel arrangements for the duration of your trip. Details of your intended arrangements must:
- Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket that displays your round trip travel and entry and exit dates for your destination
- Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
You must provide a letter of authorization found in this kit, authorizing China Visa Service Center to submit and collect your visa application and documents on your behalf.
Former PRC Nationals or Individuals Born in Chinese Territories
If you are a former PRC passport holder or were born in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macau:
- You must write your name in Chinese characters for question 1.2 on the visa application form
- You must provide a copy of your most recent China visa and a copy of the passport in which the visa was issued
- If you have never been issued a China visa you must submit your original China passport and a copy of your Green Card, and a copy of your Naturalization Certificate
- If you were adopted from China you must also include a copy of your adoption papers showing adoptive parents names, name change, and photo with parents (do not include the original papers). If applicable, include a copy of your naturalization certificate and U.S. birth certificate.
Travel to Hong Kong or MacauVisiting Hong Kong or Macau is considered leaving China. You must obtain a multiple entry visa if you leave Mainland China to visit Hong Kong and Macau with the intention to re-enter the mainland before finally departing from China.
U.S. Citizens Born in Certain CountriesU.S. citizens born in Afghanistan, Cameroon, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Nigeria, Tunisia, Turkey, or Syria who are currently traveling to China with their American passport will need to make a personal appearance in order to apply for a visa to China. China Visa Service Center will be unable to assist you with your visa request.
If you have been granted a China visa in the past, you must provide a copy of the most recent issued China visa.
Applicants Under the Age of 18
All minors traveling to China must provide a copy of their birth certificate in addition to the other visa requirements specified in these instructions. Other conditions apply:
- The parents of the minor must provide a copy of each parent’s US Passport
- If the parents are not U.S. citizens, they must provide a copy of their U.S. Status
- If the parents are not accompanying the minor on the trip, both parents must provide a notarized consent letter that states the child has permission to travel. To access a sample consent letter follow this link: https://www.mychinavisa.com/forms?formname=ParentalConsent.pdf or type the address into your browser
- On page 4 of the application, one parent must complete and sign sections 4 and 5.
- Both parents must supply a copy of a current driver's license.
Applicants with Criminal RecordTravelers with a criminal record will be required to appear in person at the consulate in order to provide biometrics.
Urgent ApplicationsIf you have an urgent visa application that carries a tight deadline, China Visa Service Center can help you to save valuable time and avoid expensive delays. A China Visa Service Center expert will review all of your documents to certify your application is accurate, complete and ready for submission. We will contact you personally to quickly handle any mistakes ensuring your application is submitted correctly. Visit https://www.mychinavisa.com/visa-pre-check-service to learn more about this service.
Proof of VaccineYou may provide your original CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Card showing full vaccination status or you may provide a notarized copy of the front and back of the Vaccination card.
You must provide a copy of the travel record form included in this kit. The form must:
- Include all countries that you have visited in the last 28 days
- Be signed
- Include entry/exit dates of each travel
8 Business Days
Processing time means the time it takes for the Chinese Consulate to process your visa. Please allow extra time for shipping and handling.